The Academy for Professionalism in Health Care
6th Annual Meeting
SAVE THE DATE!
April 26 - 28, 2018
Embassy Suites Baltimore Inner
Harbor Hotel and The Grand Historic Venue
222 St. Paul Place
Call for Papers is Now Open!
The 6th annual Academy for Professionalism in Health Care Conference will be held April 26 - 28, 2018 at the Embassy Suites Inner Harbor Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland.
The theme of the conference will be:
"Resilience-The intersection with professionalism"
Participants in the APHC 2018 conference will be encouraged to consider the quality of resilience, and to explore its connections to the development and demonstration of professionalism in clinicians. While there are many definitions of the term, we understand resilience to be the process of adapting well in the face of adversity, trauma, tragedy, or significant workplace stress-all common components of a healthcare environment. The values of professionalism may benefit from clinician commitment to resilience, but it is unclear how or if this attribute can be cultivated.
We are especially interested in conceptual and empirical proposals that address the following topics:
- Attributes and conditions that promote flourishing in the healthcare setting and facilitate the prevention of clinician/student burnout.
- The role of mentoring in the development of both resilience and the professional persona.
- Challenges affecting professionalism in the greater healthcare context, such as student mistreatment and bullying, clinician depression and suicidality, remediation of lapses in professional behavior, difficult intuitional cultures, and others.
Although theme-specific submissions are encouraged, work that considers professionalism more broadly or from another perspective is welcome.
We will accept submissions for:
- Oral Presentations (30 minutes). Oral presentations should present data or raise and address new/novel questions.
- Panel discussions (60 minutes). Panel discussions should be interdisciplinary and explore various facets of a single topic. Please indicate a break-down of how the time will be used.
- Workshops (60 or 90 minutes). Workshop sessions should be interactive and teach processes or methods that potentially can be adopted by audience members. Please indicate a break-down of how the time will be used.
- Posters (scheduled poster sessions). Posters should describe research or innovative educational initiatives, or offer visual depictions of conceptual work in areas of the conference theme.
Submissions will be accepted via the APHC website (www.academy-professionalism.org) between October 16th and November 17th. Multiple submissions are welcome.
2018 Program Co-Chairs Rebecca Volpe, PhD: Penn State College of Medicine and
Valerie Harris Weber, DMD, MA: University of Louisville School of Dentistry